Table of contents:
Many parents will sooner or later face thequestion of how to teach a child to the pot. For many, the process can seem intimidating, especially if the parents do not know what they will encounter. Knowing well what to expect and how to organize the learning process, this period can be made as comfortable as possible for you and your baby.
Is your child learning
The learning process takes place much easier forthe child and for the parents if the child is physically and mentally ready for it already. Most children begin to show signs of readiness at the age of 18 to 24 months, although some may be ready earlier or later than the specified age. Boys often begin later trained longer than girls.
There are several ways to check the readiness of your child, so that they pay close attention to:
- diaper your child more than 2 hours remains dry. If the child is showing signs of urinary retention for a certain period - this means that he develops muscle control;
- your child lets you know when you need to change his diaper. Alert you of a wet or dirty diaper shows the beginning of a child understanding the functions of the organism;
- your child is interested in the use oftoilet. When a child begins to ask questions about how to use the toilet by adults, it usually shows a willingness to begin training. This curiosity may occur earlier if a family has older children.
Reward or punish
Want to quickly teach a child to potty? In this desire, many parents may be tempted to encourage the child to awards. Knowing what not to do, you can avoid some of the problems in the way of a successful toilet training.
- Dangerous promotion. Although some types of rewards in the process of toilet training will benefit by giving the child a sense of feeling of accomplishment, and other types of incentives actually do to achieve your goals more difficult. As a rule, the promotion of toys or sweets will have a negative impact on the child. Rather than strive to become a big boy or girl, the child will take the pot as a means to obtain pleasure or a new toy. In other words, bribing your child, you take away from him the possibility of feeling a sense of accomplishment.
With this kind of promotions, you are not onlyundermine his self-esteem, but also negates all your efforts. A child who makes progress only when there rewards quickly regresses when there is no incentive, and, in the end, you also can not continue to promote it for several years. So, if you do not want to go through the process of toilet training twice - do not be tempted to bribe the child.
- The penalties, which punish you. For the most part, without thinking about the implications of the "punishment", you only hurt your efforts in the process of accustoming the child to the pot. Perhaps the worst thing you can do is try to physically or emotionally intimidating the child in the event of use of the pot. Punishing a child physically for what he described, shouting, threatening - such behavior you just upset the baby, then you will be much more difficult to convince him to use gorshkom.Drugaya a bad idea to put on a child's diaper, after he makes his case in panties . In fact this you show that he was not able to make things right, and many children often regress and refuse at this point the use of the pot completely.
- Maintenance schedules. When a child first begins to use the potty, there are usually two reasons for the failure of either the child does not recognize the signs of desire to void, or he was too busy playing to pay attention to it. In order to avoid most of the failures in both types, you need to sit the child on the potty at regular intervals. Initially, it is advisable to plant the child every hour, it improves muscle control and emptying in the pants there is less and less, after the intervals can be increased up to two hours or more.
If your child during one of the attemptscould go to pot, do not force it, gently soothe and give thanks for trying, expressing the hope that the next time he will succeed. However, if you see that the child is not urinating for a long time, it will be a good moment to put him on the potty.
- The power of praise. While financial incentives is not a good idea, it praises the contrary allow your child to understand that he is on the right track. Children tend to respond well to praise, as it gives them a sense of self-worth. Just show your child you are proud of them, when he successfully uses the potty.
The use of effective methods of management
Sometimes children do not like to sit on the potty. Especially at the beginning, the child may have to try several times before the muscles will begin to respond to the mental health team. Young children generally rapidly switch your attention, in such cases you need something to hold their interest, while they learn to control his body. At such moments, it is not harmful to use "a book for the pot" or "toy for the pot" - special items that are designed specifically for those cases where the child is sitting on the pot. Keep in mind that the book or toy will be better serve its purpose if it is somehow connected with the necessary activities: a picture book about potty training, for example, water or toy that may cause the impulse to urinate.
Such promotion does not fall into the category of "harmfulremuneration ", if used correctly. Do not use small rewards as bribery, if you are inclined to believe that the child sit on the potty just waiting for compensation. However, if you use a neutral time to explain to your child about a new toy or book, the object will lose the quality of bribery and vice versa will be a celebration for the child of such a new status as a "big boy" or "big girl."
Choosing the right pot
There are two main variants of pots:
- autonomous, pot size for the baby, a chair with a bowl, which is easy to clean;
- seat size for the baby, which can be located on top of the toilet bowl, and allow your child to feel more confident.
If you stop your choice on the modification of the toilet bowl, you will need to provide for the possibility of the child free access to the seat.
Usually the boys need to learn firstpotty sitting before you begin to write standing up. For boys who feel embarrassed or scared toilet to urinate standing up, small pot may be the best option.
In any case, the parents when choosing a potit should be remembered that the pot - is the subject of a direct appointment, and not just another toy for a child. And attention should be paid to the ease of use, and not on the design and beauty.
As a result of the expected
While the child may be fully preparedto use the pot while you are awake, it can still be prone to urinary incontinence during the day or night's sleep. As a result, you may need to use diapers when the baby sleeps.
In general, all parents should be aware thatEvery child is unique. And different children will react differently to the same thing. Therefore, always take into account the uniqueness of your child before you begin the process of toilet training. While the above tips will help to make the learning process easier, you know your child better than anyone.
Ultimately, the goal is to achieve a positive result in the training of your child, and do not desire to find the "right" way to do it.
What else is looking for people: