- What are the stretch ceilings?
- Types of stretch ceilings
- Recommendations before installing stretch ceilings
- Installing of stretch ceilings
The birthplace of stretch ceilings is a controversial question . But the impetus for the spreading of them around the world was given in France. Exactly this country has improved the quality of stretch ceilings. The peak of the popularity of stretch ceilings was there in the 60s of the last century. However, Russia met this kind of finishing much later – in the 90s.
In Russia, stretch ceilings began to be sold first in the capitals (Moscow and St. Petersburg). And only then, after the approval of VIP-clients this kind of decoration began to spread to all corners of our homeland. But only a few people could afford it.
Today, a stretch ceiling in an apartment can afford a person with an average income , as the development of technology has simplified, and which affected their cost.
What are the stretch ceilings?
Stretch Ceiling is a special material construction that is fixed by masters under the main ceiling on a metal (most often aluminum) or plastic frame.
Types of stretch ceilings
The main form of the stretch ceiling is an elastic canvas stretched across the entire ceiling area.
There are two types of stretch ceilings : stretch ceilings made of PVC membrane and seamless stretch ceilings .
- Most of nowadays stretch ceilings are made from soft polyvinyl chloride membrane (PVC). It is very thin, does not exceed a thickness of 0.35 mm. Despite this, the material is very strong. Such membrane can withstand the rebound of the cork from champagne.
- Another material for stretch ceilings is the thin polyester fabric , which is impregnated with a special substance – thermosetting polyurethane. Ceilings made of this material are called seamless. Polyester fabric is stronger than PVC membrane up to 20 times. Unlike PVC membrane, rolls of polyester fabric are so wide that during repair work the seams on the canvas are avoided. That’s why stretch ceilings of this type received their name.
Recommendations before installing stretch ceilings
Before installing stretch ceilings, you have to:
- Remove items from the room that can be damaged by high temperatures, because while installing a stretch ceiling they use a heat cannon
- Arrange the location of the illumination. Masters plan installing of lighting devices on the ceiling in advance.
- Do not change the construction of the room after the measurements made by specialists. a pattern is already made in the production.
- Organize access to walls.
Installing of stretch ceilings
- The technology of installing stretch ceilings of any kind is in departing from the existing ceiling covering a few centimeters (from 3 cm or more). This is necessary for the masters to be able to install lighting fixtures, wiring and other necessary devices into the ceiling.
- The stretch ceiling material is mounted on an aluminum or plastic profile . It, in turn, is fixed on a ceiling-base or walls using a special dowel-screw technology.
- All unevenness between the stretch ceiling and the walls is concealed using a plastic decorative cover made of flexible or hard PVC.
- A professionally installed stretch ceiling will last you for a long time . A good company will necessarily provide a guarantee for stretch ceilings for 10 or even more years.
- Stretch ceilings are waterproof, shockproof, fireproof. In addition, they provide heating and sound insulation of the room.
Also read: How to wash the stretch ceilings?
Service of stretch ceilings is absolutely not necessary , because they do not form a condensate, do not absorb odors and do not accumulate electricity. The membrane, despite the fact that it’s made of non-natural materials, is absolutely safe for humans.
For the manufacturing and installation of stretch ceilings, you should hire good masters and a reliable firm . They will calculate the cost of works and offer you the stretch ceilings for every taste and prosperity.