- Features of installing laminate and linoleum
- Appearance of laminate and linoleum
- Durability of laminate and linoleum
- Care of laminate and linoleum
- Thermal insulation properties of laminate and linoleum
- Fire resistance of laminate and linoleum
- Prices for laminate and linoleum
- Advantages of linoleum
- Disadvantages of linoleum
- Advantages of laminate
- Disadvantages of laminate
When repairing your house or apartment, the floor is one of the thing to pay attention on. After all, we want the floor to be beautiful, durable, and at the same time it should be in harmony with the overall style of the apartment and with the rest of the furniture. A very frequent question of people doing repairs is what is better: laminate or linoleum?
Features of installing laminate and linoleum
- Laminate should be laid only on a perfectly flat floor. Therefore, if it is uneven, you will have to hire a professional to fill the screed before you lay the laminate.
- And any surface is suitable for linoleum. In order to lay this coating on the floor, it is not necessary to achieve a perfectly flat floor. In addition, flooring linoleum does not require any special skills and knowledge , so you can manage without the help of a professional.
Appearance of laminate and linoleum
The appearance of both one and the other flooring will depend only on the quality of the material, its price and the manufacturer. The more expensive it will be, the more beautiful the appearance it will have. In addition, today’s assortment involves a large number of colors , as well as a high-quality imitation of wooden cover, tile, granite chips, natural stone and others.
In a word, the question of the appearance of these two coatings for floor is a matter of taste and individual preferences.
Durability of laminate and linoleum
A laminate is absolutely not terrified of sharp heels, and claws of domestic animals. In addition, on the laminate it is impossible to leave dents and traces of furniture, heavy household appliances. And also, the laminate is not afraid of constant exposure of high temperatures. In its turn, linoleum is able to melt, if it has a permanent contact with high temperatures, in addition, it is easy enough to remain dents from furniture.
In contact with water, linoleum will not suffer in any way. The laminate is afraid of contact with water, which is capable of destroying it. However, there are moisture resistant types of laminate, which are not afraid of contact with water. But, nevertheless you shouldn’t put it in rooms with constant high humidity. There is also linoleum, which is undesirable to contact with water – linoleum with felt basis. If it has a frequent contact with moisture, the felt base will begin to rot.
Care of laminate and linoleum
Laminate is a very demanding floor in the matter of cleaning and care of it. This material requires the use of special detergents , intended for cleaning just the laminate. In addition, it is very often necessary to clean the joints of laminate plates from contamination.
Linoleum is very unpretentious in this question. It can be cleaned using ordinary water or water with the addition of similar detergents.
Thermal insulation properties of laminate and linoleum
Linoleum has a lower thermal conductivity than laminate. Therefore, it is considered as a warmer material. Laminate, in this issue is inferior to it.
Fire resistance of laminate and linoleum
Linoleum is extremely combustible material, therefore it is considered non-fireproof.
In it’s turn, laminate is very difficult to ignite.
Prices for laminate and linoleum
Today, the prices for these two coatings do not differ much from each other. To be more precise, they practically do not differ. The quality material of a well-known manufacturer will be the same for the price.
Advantages of linoleum
- Low price. This factor will be relevant only if you compare the cheapest types of two coatings.
- Easy to install.
- A wide variety of colors and textures.
- The floor, covered with linoleum, is quieter.
- Linoleum keeps heat better.
- The material does not rot, except that linoleum, which is made on a felt basis.
- Linoleum is not a slippery coating.
- The service life of linoleum is quite long – from 30 to 50 years.
- Linoleum perfectly withstand prolonged contact with hot water
- This coating is fairly easy to clean and maintain.
Disadvantages of linoleum
- Linoleum is not an ecological material (except for a very expensive linoleum made from natural materials).
- It remains dented from contact with sharp heels, furniture and heavy appliances.
- If linoleum is constantly exposed to high or low temperatures, it can crack or deform.
- Linoleum absorbs all the fat that gets into it, dust and dirt. In addition, it stains after chemicals hit.
- This coating can burn out in the sun.
Advantages of laminate
- This cover has a low cost, in comparison with the parquet, which it imitates. But the appearance is absolutely identical.
- Laminate has a huge selection of different colors and textures.
- This cover is convenient enough to stack.
- The laminate is able to withstand the influence of high temperatures. And it does not burn.
- The laminate doesn’t let dust through, which means it will not accumulate in it.
- There are no dents on the laminate floor from heels and furniture
- There are no stains from fat and chemicals on the laminate
- This coating is resistant to sunburn.
- Laminate is more durable and environmentally friendly than linoleum.
Disadvantages of laminate
- Laminate is not repairable. In a word, if it collapses, you will have to completely change the cover on the floor.
- This coating categorically does not tolerate permanent wet cleanings, from this, white spots appear on it, and with time, it collapses.
- The laminate is not able to withstand flooding with hot water.
- This cover is slippery enough.
- Laminate is a voiced coating.
- Laminate has a much shorter service life than linoleum.
Having considered a detailed description of the presented floor coverings , you can make the right choice, guided by your needs and taste. And if your repair has just begun, probably, you will be interested in reading about “ How to choose a bathroom tile , or about how how to decorate the walls In the kitchen .
Have a successful repair!